
I usually don't measure anything. Yesterday, I tried to take approximate measurements, so I could share the recipe.
I adapt the recipe to make the soup as thick or sweet as I am in the mood for.
Generally, I don't like sweet vegetable like beets and carrots, so I try to mask that sweetness. If you want to bring out the sweetness of beets in this soup, don't add vinegar (you can even add a tiny bit of sugar).
My husband prefers less liquid and more chewable stuff in his soup, so I try to cook the way he likes it. When I was growing up, however, we ate soup with more liquid.
It took about 1 hour to make yesterday. It will all depend on how big your vegetables will be.
I know my pictures are not very good, but that is what you get taking pictures with artificial lighting.
Also, this is the soup I MAKE. I am not claiming to have an authentic recipe. I know in Russia they add cabbage to borsch. I leave cabbage out.
Usually borsch is made with beef that you cook in water to make broth. I tried it a few times, and it is good, but I like adding homemade chicken broth into mine as well as homemade beef meatballs.
So here is the actual recipe.
Ingredients:
2 cans of beets, grated and liquid from cans (make sure you DON'T buy pickled canned beets - you need regular for this recipe - you can buy whole or sliced or even shoestring - I buy sliced, because I think more beets fit into a can when they are sliced - I also like to grate my beets - shoestring is really hard to grate - If you are not a fan of grating slices, buy whole beets by any means - you can also buy fresh beets and cook them in boiling water for about 40 minutes until they are soft)
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 bay leaves
2-3 Tbsp white vinegar
4 cups chicken broth (can add more)
4 cups of water
a few whole peppercorns (you can use ground pepper if you want)
salt (I use kosher salt, but it you don't have it on hand, just use regular salt)
For meatballs:
1/2 lbs ground beef
1 egg
bread crumbs
garlic powder
salt and pepper
Meatballs can be made adding other herbs or spices that you like.
Sour cream (for serving - I don't like Borsch without it)
Saute diced carrots, onion, and celery in a medium pot with a little bit of canola or olive oil on medium heat until tender. Make sure to stir to avoid burning.

Add chicken stock (I make my own chicken stock and keep it in the freezer, so I add mine frozen) , beet liquid, bay leaves, peppercorns, vinegar, and salt. When comes to boil, add diced potatoes.




It takes some time to cook the potatoes, so you'll have time to make meatballs. To make them, combine all the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined (don't over mix). Roll meatballs and place on a plate.

When potatoes are tender, add grated beets.

I also add about 3-4 cups of water at this time.
When soup is boiling, add meatballs one at a time.

Let cook until meatballs are cooked through.

Plate and add sour cream to taste. You can sprinkle borsch with fresh parsley before serving.
Very nice picture Nam Nam of you and your blog as a whole is regarded as a nice and readable. Come take a look Teuvo images www.ttvehkalahti.blogspot.com blog and tell your friends Teuvo pictures blog. Very good and pleasant autumn scenic roads. Teuvo Vehkalahti Suomi Finland
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this!
ReplyDelete